CASSIA is actually what is commonly sold in North America as Cinnamon. CASSIA is grown primarily in Indonesia, and is also referred to as Baker’s Cinnamon. It is earthy red in colour and has pungent rum tones. These quills are usually thicker than true cinnamon quills.
A recipe for cinnamon flavoured rice.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook onion, garlic, cumin seeds, and cinnamon stick in oil in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until grains become slightly translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, sugar, pepper, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and discard cinnamon stick if desired.