- 1/4 cup gochugaru (Korean chili pepper flakes)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey - try with smoked honey
- 3 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sake
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add gochugaru, water, honey, and miso paste to a pot and stir over medium heat until the mixture bubbles.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 15 minutes.
- Stir in sake, vinegar and salt, and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for up to a month
Gochugaru Flavour Variations:
Make it more spicy: Add 1-2 additional tablespoons of gochugaru (you might need to add an extra tablespoon or two of water as well).
Make it less spicy: Use 2 tablespoons gochugaru and 1/4 cup water instead of what the original recipe calls for.
Make it more sweet: Add an extra tablespoon of honey.
Make it more pungent: Add an extra teaspoon or two of rice vinegar.