Pots de Crème
10 ounces bittersweet 60% chocolate - chopped fine
* For the chocolate flavour we wanted, we favoured bittersweet chocolate over milk and semisweet chocolate, which we judged to be too mild. At 10 ounces, the chocolate content in our pots de crème was at least 50 % higher than in any other dessert recipe we’ve encountered.
5 large egg yolks
5 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon table salt
1 ½ cups heavy cream
¾ cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon instant espresso powder mixed with 1 tablespoon water
½ cup heavy cream (cold)
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate shavings for sprinkling
FOR THE POTS DE CRÈME:
- Place chocolate in medium heatproof bowl; set fine-mesh strainer over bowl and set aside.
- Whisk yolks, sugar, and salt in medium bowl until combined; whisk in heavy cream and half-and-half. Transfer mixture to medium saucepan. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon, until thickened and silky and custard registers 175 to 180 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 8 to 12 minutes (see photos, below). Do not let custard overcook or simmer.
- Immediately pour custard through strainer over chocolate. Let mixture stand to melt chocolate, about 5 minutes. Whisk gently until smooth, then whisk in vanilla and espresso. Divide mixture evenly among eight 5-ounce ramekins. Gently tap ramekins against counter to remove air bubbles.
- Cool pots de crème to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 72 hours. Before serving, let pots de crème stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes.
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: Using hand mixer or standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla on low speed until bubbles form, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; continue beating until beaters leave trail, about 30 seconds longer. Increase speed to high; continue beating until nearly doubled in volume and whipped cream forms soft peaks, 30 to 45 seconds longer.
- Dollop each pot de crème with about 2 tablespoons whipped cream; garnish with cocoa or chocolate shavings, if using. Serve.
*original recipe Cook’s Illustrated
Comments will be approved before showing up.