- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) unsalted butter.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or cardamom, or baking spice -optional
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ loaf left over bread, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm milk, butter, vanilla, spices, sugar and salt. Continue cooking and stirring until the butter melts and then remove from heat.
- Add eggs to cooled milk mixture and whisk.
- Place bread in a greased baking dish and pour over the egg/milk mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until custard is set but still a little wobbly and edges of the bread have browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature after sprinkling with sugar.