Adjwain - 2 Ways August 13 2017, 0 Comments
Red Lentils with Paprika and Adjwain
Delicious red lentils! Great on their own, or as a wonderful side dish
6 tbsp ghee, butter, or oil (divided into 4 tbsp/2 tbsp)
2 large onions, roughly chopped
1 three inch piece of ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp adjwain
2 tbsp paprika (divided in half)
2 tbsp sweet or hot smoked paprika (divided in half)
2 cups red lentils
5 cups water
Salt to taste (about 1tsp)
- Combine onions, ginger, and garlic in food processor into large loose paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee, butter, or oil in pan, just to smoke point
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic. Stir to prevent sticking but allow the paste to caramelize to a rich brown colour
- Add adjwain and half of each paprika, Stir so spices are completely coated, and cook for about one minute.
- Add lentils and five cups of water; bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cover ad let cook for about one hour About 45 minutes into cooking, add salt to taste. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- When lentils are completely tender, add the remaining ghee/butter/oil and paprikas.
Baingan (Eggplant) Chutney
Add this flavourful chutney to any meal for some extra yum!
1 medium bharta baingan or large aubergine
1 tbsp chopped onion
2 garlic cloves- made into paste with ginger
1/2 piece of ginger- made into paste with garlic
1/4 tsp adjwain
1/4 tsp sanaam red chilli powder
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Turn oven in to broil, position wrack to upper middle of oven.
- Wash and dry aubergine
- Cut aubergine in half lengthwise, place skin side up on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment
- Roast aubergine for about 30 minutes, until the skin blisters and the inside is soft. Prick the skin with a knife, there should be no resistance
- Remove from oven, cool.
- Peel off the skin, and finely chop the flesh
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat; add adjwain seeds, fry for about 10 seconds
- Add the onion, garlic-ginger paste and sauce until onions are translucent
- Add kashmiri chill powder and stir
- Salute on low heat for 5 minutes
- Serve warm