6 tbsp ghee, butter, or oil (divided into 4 tbsp/2 tbsp)
2 large onions, roughly chopped
1 three inch piece of ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp adjwain
2 tbsp paprika (divided in half)
2 tbsp sweet or hot smoked paprika (divided in half)
2 cups red lentils
5 cups water
Salt to taste (about 1tsp)
- Combine onions, ginger, and garlic in food processor into large loose paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee, butter, or oil in pan, just to smoke point
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic. Stir to prevent sticking but allow the paste to caramelize to a rich brown colour
- Add adjwain and half of each paprika, Stir so spices are completely coated, and cook for about one minute.
- Add lentils and five cups of water; bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cover ad let cook for about one hour About 45 minutes into cooking, add salt to taste. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- When lentils are completely tender, add the remaining ghee/butter/oil and paprikas.
Comments will be approved before showing up.