Lime Charlotte September 16 2020, 0 Comments
- 214 oz cans sweetened condensed milk (preferably La Lechera brand from Mexico)
- 2370-mL cans evaporated milk
- 2140-g packages Marias cookies (preferably Gamesa brand from Mexico)
- 1cup fresh lime juice (from about 6 limes) plus more for drizzling
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes (preferably dark green parts), or more to taste
- Fruity extra-virgin olive oil (such as arbequina) for drizzling
In large stainless steel bowl, whisk condensed and evaporated milks. Add 1 cup (250 mL) lime juice. Whisk vigorously until thickened and slightly curdled looking, about 1 minute.
In 9-inch by 13-inch (22.5 cm by 32.5 cm) baking dish, pour 1-1/4 cups (310 mL) milk mixture over bottom, tilting pan to evenly cover and spreading with rubber spatula if needed. Gently place one layer of cookies side by side, barely touching, breaking some cookies in half to make them fit. (You should have about 12 whole cookies and five half cookies.) Pour another 1-1/2 cups (310 mL) milk mixture over cookies, spreading gently with spatula and making sure cookies are fully covered. Continue to add cookie layers and milk layers, alternating the spots where the whole and half cookies are, and finishing with milk layer. You should have four cookie layers and five milk layers.
Cover dish with plastic wrap without touching mixture. Refrigerate at least 3 hours to set.
To serve, cut as desired. Use microplane to zest 2 limes on top of each piece. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil.
Refrigerate up to 2 days