It is best to have a roasting pan with a rack. The trick is LOW and SLOW.
preheat the oven to 300º.
3 - 4 lbs chicken ( 2 kilos)
3.5 Tbsp The Spice Trader CHICKEN RUB
1 Tbsp salt ( kosher if possible - less if table salt)
2 Tbsp oil ( either canola, olive, or melted butter)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Brush the chicken skin with oil or butter. Mix together the salt and dry rub. Sprinkle and rub the mixture onto the chicken.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of a roasting pan. Add a rack to the roasting pan. Place the whole chicken, breast side down on the rack on the roasting pan. If using, place an oven-safe digital thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken thigh.
- NOTE - If you don't have a rack then place the bird breast side up and do not put water in the pan.
- Bake until the thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 160 degrees F. This will take about 2 ½ hours to 3 hours depending on how large your chicken is. If you do not have an oven-safe thermometer, use a digital read thermometer and check the temperature after 2 hours and 15 minutes and continue cooking until the chicken reaches 160-165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, tent loosely with the foil, and let rest 10-20 minutes. This will allow the chicken to reach 165 degrees F and juices redistribute.
- Serve the whole chicken as a roast chicken dinner or use the meat to shred, chop, or slice and use for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken.