10 fresh tomatillos, husks removed
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
1⁄4 onion, chopped
2 tsp ancho chili
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 pinch salt to taste
18 corn tortillas
1/2 cup dried hibiscus petals
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 slices of fresh pineapple, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped.
1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place hibiscus in a pot over medium heat, cover with water, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove hibiscus from heat and allow to steep for at least 2 hours, until hibiscus is very soft . Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic until so and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in drained hibiscus and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until hibiscus turns a deep red colour.
- Combine tomatillos, avocado, 1/4 onion, ancho powder, 1 clove garlic, and 2 tablespoons cilantro; blend until smooth. Season salsa verde with salt.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet. Divide hibiscus mixture amongst tortillas and top with pineapple, onion, and cilantro.
- Serve with salsa verde and lime.